03 July 2009

A quiet afternoon...

Seed Wreath (yes, made out of seeds)


Henry House Kitchen


Henry House - Kingston Limestone


The General Store


Robinson House


After an amazingly stressful week, I took some time off on a relatively clear Friday afternoon to take a trip down to the museum by the lake, the Oshawa Community Museum.

After going into Guy House to pay their extremely minimal fee for a tour, I was guided, one-on-one, through Robinson House to look through their current exhibit, Mourning After: Victorian Celebration of Death.

Despite the seemingly creepy subject, my tour guide imparted such fascinating facts and history of the City that I now live in, Oshawa.

Post Mortem photography, so a-la "The Others", were the first display that I was guided through. I must say that it was a bit disconcerting, but it is fact that at that point in time, photographic images were expensive.

The next house, Henry House, is beautiful. It's made of Kingston Limestone and although it was made up to look as how it was when Elder Henry passed away.

Add a little spookiness... Henry House is also fabled to be Haunted.

If you haven't had a chance to go, it's a really interesting glimpse into the past, the tour guides are so friendly and knowledgeable, the whole experience I had was amazing, and it was well worth the trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment